Unsolicited sexual advances, in simpler words, approaching someone intending to take sexual favors without consent, causing distress and trauma to the victim, qualifies as sexual harassment. Sexual harassment can occur anywhere, even in workplaces. Sexual harassment is a serious crime that can result in 1 to 7 years of jail time and a fine, depending on the severity of the offense.

You can report to the police and hire a lawyer for aggressive legal representation if you are ever involved in a sexual harassment case. A lawyer by your side can help bring you justice and put the culprit behind bars.

How to identify sexual harassment in real life?

Here is how you can identify sexual harassment in real life. If you see it happening to you or someone around you, please report it to the legal authorities so they can take necessary action against the perpetrator, as sexual harassment can lead to mental trauma for the victim that can last throughout their life.

  • Catcalling somebody passing by
  • Commenting on somebody’s appearance
  • Requesting sexual favors
  • Forcing someone to have sex
  • Touching someone without their consent
  • Rape

These are some examples of what sexual harassment is. If you are ever in an unfortunate situation like this, you should call for help, as you deserve justice.

What can you do?

  1. If someone at your workplace is constantly harassing you, you can start keeping a record of their behavior. You can use this documentation as evidence later when and if you decide to take legal action against the culprit.
  1. If you believe you are safe to take immediate action when it is happening, begin by clarifying that their behavior is not welcome. Sometimes, the offender can be pushy but not necessarily predatory, so you can approach their advances with refusal. However, if they still persist with their actions and you decide to take it to higher authorities, you can let them know you have refused the culprit’s advances and asked for it to stop multiple times. It can help with your case significantly.
  1. Do not let it worsen, and contact a lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer can advise you on the right next step. If approaching legal services intimidates you, you can consult advocacy organizations as alternatives. They offer free legal counseling and advice. One of these organizations is Equal Rights Advocates. You can also report the incident to your employer before approaching a lawyer.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, immediately speak to a NYC injury attorney for help.